The health benefits of exercise cannot be overstated. Research has found that exercise can:
- Elevate mood
- Relieve stress and anxiety
- Increase energy levels
- Contribute to weight loss
- Strengthen muscles and bones
- Improve the health of the skin
- Reduce the risk of chronic diseases, such as diabetes and heart disease
- Improve brain function and memory
- Aid relaxation and sleep quality
- Reduce chronic pain
- Boost sex drive
For many people with busy lives, it can be difficult to set aside the time to go to the gym, take an exercise class, or get scheduled exercise on a regular basis. Fortunately, any activity that makes your muscles work and your body burn calories qualifies as exercise. The following are some simple ways to get more exercise on a daily basis, without going out of your way to hit the gym or take a class.
Fit More Exercise Into Your Work Day
Office workers tend to be sedentary all day long. Here are some easy ways to incorporate physical activity into your work day.
- Ride your bike to work.
- Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Go for a walk on your lunch break.
- Walk around the office (visit the break room, restroom, or water cooler) approximately every 90 minutes.
- Stretch at your desk.
- Stand up to take phone calls.
- Set up client meetings centered around physical activities, such as golf or fitness classes, if possible.
- Buy some office-friendly fitness equipment and use it.
Get More Physical When You Are At Home
It can be tempting to be a “couch potato” after a long day at work, but exercise has been proven to increase energy levels and make you feel better mentally. These are some simple ways to get more physically active while you’re hanging out at home.
- Listen to music and dance around the house.
- If you have stairs in your home, go up and down them frequently.
- Play with your pets. For example, get into a game of tug-of-war with your dog.
- Clean. Vacuuming, sweeping, scrubbing the counters, or washing the walls counts as exercise.
- Do squats, lunges, push-ups, jumping jacks, etc. during commercial breaks or between episodes when you’re watching TV.
- Burn Calories While You Are Running Errands
- Walk or bike to your destination whenever possible.
- When you go to a store, park as far away from the entrance as possible.
- If you are using public transportation, ride standing up, get off a few stops early, and walk the extra distance.
- Skip elevators and escalators and take the stairs when you are at the mall or a department store.
Make Sure You Have The Health Insurance You Need
If you fit more exercise into your life, it can significantly improve your health, both mentally and physically, and reduce your risk of developing chronic diseases. Having the right health insurance is another factor that contributes to staying healthy. Our friendly agent can help you find the lowest available premiums for health insurance coverage that suits your needs.Filed Under: Health Insurance | Tagged With: Health Insurance